Acne is the most common skin condition in the world affecting well over an estimated 85% of people throughout their lifetime.
Acne is a skin condition that forms on the surface of the skin when the oil and dead skin cells on your skin combines to form a plug that blocks the skin. This area thus becomes inflamed and this is when you start to see pustules “pus”.
Dermatologists agree that there is no one size fit all in curing acne. Each patient reacts differently to different treatments, this is why we recommend visiting a dermatologist as he can help proffer the right solution to your acne problem.
Many factors contribute to the outbreak of acne, from diet to hormones, genetics stress etc. So here are few recommended tips that can help with your acne breakouts.
- Moisturizers; are critical in helping you combat acne. Moisturizers should be applied daily, at least once a day. Moisturizers help to maintain the water level in your skin and won’t add grease. Look out for keywords like “oil-free” “non-comedogenic, and avoid products with mineral oil or petroleum jelly.
- Don’t exfoliate; many acne treatment products contain substances that would naturally strip off the natural protectors in your skin while combating acne. So if you are acne prone, you should avoid exfoliating as this can further damage the skin barrier.
- Make a honey and cinnamon mask; honey and cinnamon are great sources of antioxidants. Sources have shown that apply antioxidants on the skin greatly reduces the risk of acne breakouts. Honey and cinnamon help combat bacteria and lower inflammation, which are the two factors that trigger acne.
- Take zinc supplements and antibiotics; zinc is a vital nutrient that helps in cell growth, hormone production, metabolism and immune function. Antibiotics can also be used as acne is formed by bacteria. Studies have shown that taking zinc supplements and antibiotics helps reduce acne.
- Reduce stress and exercise regularly.